The Quirky Book Nerd was lovely enough to nominate me for The Infinity Dreams Award four weeks ago. Ungrateful prat that I am, I haven’t thanked her all this time.
To The Quirky Book Nerd: thank you so much for nominating me. I’m sorry it took me so long to respond. The Quirky Book Nerd is a wonderful blogger and reads a variety of genres and I always enjoy reading her reviews. Check out her blog here.
So the rules for The Infinity Dreams Award are:
- Thank and follow the blog that nominated you.
- Tell us 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions that were set for you to answer.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and set questions for them.
Eleven Facts about Me:
- When I was seven years old, I received a picture book about Cleopatra as a gift. It was love at first read. It astonished me that someone so intelligent and politically astute could also be so bewitching she seduced the two most powerful men of her era. The picture book sparked a Cleopatra obsession ever since.
- Consequently, I’ve read most books there are about Cleopatra; novels, biographies, you name it, I’ve read it. I probably know more than some historians at this point.
- Yet funnily enough, my personality is nothing like the common tropes of Cleopatra: ruthless, ambitious, seductive, etc. I pretty much embody the “good girl” stereotype: courteous, sweet, and a little bit passive. In Game of Thrones-speak, I’m more Sansa Stark than Cersei Lannister.
- I’m getting better at baking. My specialties are brownies and lemon cake.
- I went through a phase of loving Scandinavian symphonic metal in high school. Nightwish was my favorite band.
- My makeup aesthetic is winged eyeliner and red lipstick.
- I’m so addicted to reading, I am known for reading remote control manuals when there is nothing left to read.
- Thereby, I always have a book in my handbag. Ergo, I never buy a handbag unless I can fit at least a mass market paperback inside.
- I’m always taking books from my grandfather’s bookshelves and never returning them. My grandpa was a voracious reader in his day, and his shelves are stuffed with amazing writers: Steinbeck, Maugham, Hemingway, du Maurier, and so much more.
- I own a genuine black dress from the 1930s.
- I suffer from severe anxiety and depression. One psychiatrist diagnosed me as bipolar II, even though other therapists disagree. I’m prone to relapses and I don’t have everything in my life pulled together but I’m always willing to listen to fellow anxious depressives.
The Quirky Book Nerd’s Questions:
- What are the top three best books you read in 2015?
The Remains of the Day and An Artist of the Floating World, both by Kazuo Ishiguro. Also, Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.
- Where is your favorite reading spot?
I would say my favorite reading spot is my bed, but I actually get very little reading done there. My most productive reading is done during the commute.
- Do you have a favorite tradition with a family member/friend/significant other?
Just meeting up once a month with my dear friends. With different jobs and schedules, it’s difficult to get everyone together in one place. But we make it a tradition to do so every month.
- What fictional character would you most like to have as a best friend?
Sara Crewe from A Little Princess. Sara and I have similar personalities, except she is kinder, gentler, smarter, tougher. Being friends with her would be an opportunity to better myself.
- What are your favorite television series?
None at the moment. I’m more focused on reading. I do watch Nigella Bites over and over again as I love Nigella Lawson’s soothing voice and early recipes.
- Do you like to play video games? If so, which one is your favorite?
Hahaha, probably Game Boy Color and Pokemon Blue. As you can see, I’m not really a video games player.
- Which Hogwarts house do you belong to?
Always a tie between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff.
- What are your favorite book covers?
The dove grey covers of Persephone Books and the Virago Designer Collections.
- What films are you most looking forward to watching in 2016?
Wow, I had to look up “2016 film releases” on Google. I guess I’m excited for the next X-Men movie.
- Who are your top three auto-buy authors?
Kazuo Ishiguro, any reissue of Daphne du Maurier, and Ahmad Tohari.
- Who is your favorite superhero and who is your favorite super villain?
Probably Batman and the Joker, I’m not too well-versed on comic book canon.
I’m bending the rules a bit (A LOT) by nominating all of my followers and everyone who wants The Infinity Dreams Award. The choice is yours. The Infinity Dreams Award is optional according to this lazy tagger.
If you do choose to accept my nomination, here are my questions:
- Who got you into reading?
- What are your top three books from 2015?
- Which fictional character is closest to you in terms of personality?
- Do you have a favorite period in history?
- Who is your favorite historical figure?
- What type of music do you listen to?
- As a blogger, we all write. But do you find writing an easy process or a difficult endeavor?
- What are the top three countries you would love to travel to?
- Do you cook? If so, what is your specialty dish?
- What is your favorite Disney movie?
- The eternal question: coffee or tea?